Your Board effectiveness is more important than ever.
Exceptional Board leadership is a powerful strategic asset, and there is little margin for error in the selection of directors.
With pressure on boards relentless and growing — from activist shareholders, regulators, and the media — expectations are high. They must meet today’s business challenges while negotiating the break-neck speed of innovation and change, as well as the calls for greater diversity and independence in the boardroom.
Today’s Directors must be hands-on, engaged and strategic, and held to a higher standard that is “beyond fiduciary”. High-performance boards are actively involved, strategically focused and agile.
Our research points to four key elements that impact Board effectiveness:
- Composition: Does your Board have diversity of skills, competencies and perspectives?
- Alignment: Are your Directors focused on the organization’s strategy and the markets, competitors, risks and resources?
- Dynamics: Are the quality of Boardroom discussions robust? Could board members be working together more effectively?
- Structure & Process: What is the optimal size of your Board? Are they bogged down in presentations?
Are you keeping pace with current market realities?
Consider these new market realities:
- Increased turnover and attrition of Board Directors due to retirement, time-constraints and contingent liabilities
- The call for greater diversity against a scarcity of qualified directors
- Lack of Board-level understanding of the gamechanging impact of new technologies, including cloud computing, social/digital media, mobility, and cyber-security
- Ever-increasing shareholder activism and regulatory compliance
Old traditional methods to attract the next generation of directors are not working. Over half of the NYSE listed companies report seeking an independent 3rd party to assist in bringing new skills to the table.
As board advisors to leading-edge organizations, and those that wish to be so, our Board consultants provide practical, third party advice to chairmen on all aspects of board effectiveness.
Led by NACD Board Governance Fellows, our Board Advisory practice is multidimensional, encompassing full customized Board Assessment, CEO & Board Succession Planning, and Director Recruitment.
It’s a combination of the right people, the right structure, and the right procedures.
Epsen Fuller’s Board team helps organizations around the world to build exceptional, highperformance and diverse boards, performing tailored board assessments, providing in-depth counsel on board succession, and identifying exceptional Board leadership.
Clients benefit from our deep knowledge of how boards and their committees work, and range from small-to-large cap public companies, as well as private equity-backed, family-owned, venture startup and pre-IPO organizations.
We focus on boards within specific industry sectors, enabling us to drill deep and apply our proven assessment methodologies to select directors with the specific skills and competencies that fit a company’s unique needs. With a limited number of active CEOs and senior executives able to take on external roles, we continually source and nurture new candidate pools to meet your Board’s demands.
Epsen Fuller’s team stays ahead of trends through active involvement with leading organizations such as the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD), Women Corporate Directors, and 30% Club.
Building Effective and High-Performing Board Leadership